Stocksbridge "Clock Tower" War Memorial

 

 

 

The Clock Tower was built in 1923 as a war memorial to commemorate the local people who had given their lives in the 1914-18 war.
On the heaviest bell with which the hours are struck is cast the following quotation, “At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them”. Over the door is a bronze tablet bearing the inscription “To the honour and everlasting memory of the soldiers, sailors and nurses of this District, who gave their lives fore their King and Country in the Great War 1914-18. Bronze plates on the Tower record the names of the 106 men and 1 woman to whose memory the Tower is erected. A further 51 names were later added to commemorate those lost during the 2nd World War.
The tower it self was funded by public subscriotion on land granted by R.H.R. Rimington-Wilson of Broomhead Hall. At a later date the surrounding field was purchased and now forms the memorial gardens, locally known as the Clock-Tower Gardens.

 

Click here to view the names on the Roll of Honour

 

 

 

© Copyright 2010 - 2016 Dean Hill and Stuart Reeves