St Oswalds

All photographs on this page © Peter Bayliss

 

 



 



From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield –

‘The beautiful stained east window bears the following inscription; ‘To the Glory of God and in honour of those who fought for their Country in the Great War, this window was given by Mary Lewton, wife of Bernard Alexander Firth of Norton Hall, Derbyshire, Esquire, and only child of the late Rev. Edward Lewton Penny, D.D., R.N. – All Hallowe’en, 1915.’ The general subject is the Destruction of Evil (Rev. xii, 7). In the centre is represented our Lord upon the cross with the Virgin Mary ans S. John, below which is the figure of S. Oswald. On the left is S. George of England and the Dragon, and on the right S. Louis King of France. Other figures are those of Saints contemporary with S. Oswald – S. Cuthbert, S. Chad, S. Aidan, and S. Paulinus. On smaller lights are Jeremiah and Isaiah with scroll texts:whilst over all is S. Michael slaying the Dragon, typifying the triumph of Good over Evil. The window contains the Arms of Sees of York and Sheffield: and Penny and Firth Arms are also shown.’

From the 'Images of England' series of books, this for Abbeydale and Millhouses, the second selection -
'In Juy 1920 a large carved oak Chancel screen was built across the church as a memorial to 103 parishioners who died in the First World War. Their names were inscribed on the bottom panels of the screen'.

 

Click here to view the names on the Roll of Honour

 

This newspaper clipping from 1916 shows a Roll of Honour we have not seen, does it still exist? Please let us know if you have any information.

 

 

© Copyright 2010 - 2016 Dean Hill and Stuart Reeves