St Georges Brookhill

 

Click here to view the names on the Roll of Honour

 

 

From Canon Odom’s Memorials of Sheffield;-


‘Part of the War Memorial consists of fine oak panelling on either side of the chancel front bearing the names of 196 members of the congregation and parishioners who fell in the Great War. The other part of the memorial takes the form of a Young Peoples Institute and Parochial Rooms in Brook Hill, purchased and improved at a cost of £2,000. It is proposed to erect on the vacant land a Memorial Hall.’

This Roll of Honour we believe still exists. We think it is slightly hidden behind the new 'fabric' of the Church. Sheffield University has turned the main hall into a lecture theatre. We will endeavour to get images and a list of names on it.

St Georges Memorial Hall, Brookhill –
The Hall was bought by Sheffield University in 1965. Made of Brick, it was opened by the Bishop of Sheffield on 29th June 1925. The Freehold of St Annes Vicarage was also bought at a cost of £1,600 as part of the memorial. The Building being used for social recreation for those connected with the church.


Click here to view the names on the Roll of Honour

 

 

© Copyright 2010 - 2016 Dean Hill and Stuart Reeves