Ranmoor War Memorial (St Johns)

All photographs on this page © Peter Bayliss


Click here to view the names on the War Memorial

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield: -


'The War Memorial in the Churchyard consists of a massive Runic Cross, sixteen feet high, of unpolished Cornish granite, with carved panels on front and back, designed by Mr. A.F. Watson, Sheffield. On it are inscribed the names of the fifty-nine men of the parish who fell; and the words:

'To the Glory of God and in memory of the men of Ranmoor who gave their lived for honour and freedom in the Great War 1914-1918'

 

There is also affixed to a pillar in the Church a brass tablet containing the names of the fallen men -

Click here to view the names on the Roll of Honour

Also in the tower, a memorial plaque to Arthur Ward -

'To the Glory of God and in affectionate memory of Arthur Ward Pte. 14th York & Lancs. Killed in action at Arras (Gavrell) July 1st 1916 aged 24yrs'
erected by fellow bell ringers of St. Johns.

Also at St. Johns:

is a plaque in the bell tower commemorating the end of the war. (no image as yet)

'The Yorkshire Association and Sheffield Distict Society of Change Ringers'

In commemoration of the victorious conclusion of the Great European War and of the ratification of the peace treaty with the central Empires. A peal of Grandsire Triples 5040 changes ( Holts Ten Part ) was rung in this tower in 2Hrs 56 Min on Saturday Jan. 17th 1920'

 

A stained glass memorial window featuring Joshua and Gideon.
‘given by Mr. and Mrs. R. Colver in memory of their two sons, Edward and Henry, both killed in the war.’

 





War Memorial Front Panel

 

War Memorial Left Panel

 

 

War Memorial Right Panel

 

© Copyright 2010 - 2016 Dean Hill and Stuart Reeves